So I wasn’t gonna say anything, but someone on Halo said something and then someone on tumblr said something about this, and I’ve heard it before and so now I’m annoyed.
Alright. I’m a girl gamer, (surprise surprise, have you looked at my tumblr?) and I play a lot of halo. And my GT is LadySpartan117. Because at the time (WAY back then), there wasn’t a way to show the difference between a girl spartan and a boy spartan. So yeah. Plus I’m not creative when it comes to usernames (hence the whole “kychiu” business on tumblr).
So while playing, someone pointed out that the other team (mine) had a Lady Spartan on it and was therefore going to lose. I said nothing because, 1) not worth the time 2) people say that stuff all the time. But I found it hilarious that I kicked their ass (and kicked it hard), and thus posted the score on tumblr because I found it funny.
Then some guy reblogs and adds this: “No offense, but why do girls that play on Xbox Live have to be so in-your-face about it? Do you really always need to have your service tag as GIRL or something? I personally believe that if girl games truly don’t want shit from guys while playing online don’t be so in-your-face about the fact that you’re a female. Just play like everyone else.”
And this is why I’m annoyed.
1) I’m NOT in-your-face about it. It was one post, and it was just ironically funny.
2) you don’t know me therefore don’t judge me by one post
3) I wouldn’t have said anything about it if the guy hadn’t already underestimated me
4) What are you the GAMER TAG POLICE? I’ve seen plenty of guys who have the word “Mister” or “boy” or “man” in it. Why can’t I have lady in mine?
5) I get the point you’re trying to make, but you’re doing it wrong. The fact is, it shouldn’t matter if I have Lady in my GT or not. I should just be able to play without degrading comments about making someone a sandwich, that I must suck cause I’m a girl, or that I’m really a guy playing under a girl’s name (Which must happen alot?). But I ignore it since it’s just not worth it most of the time. And of course I find something funny, post it and suddenly, I’m ranting about it.
6) I’m not “in-your-face” about it unless you say something rude. Then I think I have a right to say what I think. But if you’ll notice, I didn’t say ANYTHING to those people. I merely posted it on tumblr because I found it ironic. Which, I believe, I have a right to do.
7) If you start something with the words “no offense” that’s probably a sign NOT TO SAY IT. Just a hint.
I’m not saying that some girls don’t take the girl gamer thing way too far, because… well they do. And I’m not saying that guy gamers are all pigs, cause they aren’t. But frankly, to judge someone else on one post is rude. And it annoys the shit out of me.
If you actually played a game with me you’d realize that I pretty much just play to have fun. And you’d also realize that I’m annoying to play with because I tend to sing about kills or talk nonstop about useless topics XD.
Long story short: If people didn’t say shit like this, or underestimate me based on gender, then I wouldn’t find it funny or ironic to post my game scores and point out that a girl gamer beat them.Posted on February 23, 2012 at 1:40 PM